Thursday 11 November 2010

Poppy Day

Last week on the way to a firework display, Kai turns to us and says

"I need to get a rose, so I won't die",

well as you can imagine this kind of took us by surprise but with a little probing we worked out that his school were selling poppies, and I tried to explain to him that they were to remember people who had been in wars. 
Now we don't do Guns toy or imaginary in our house, so having to explain war and why we want to remember people to a four year old was quite tricky, but he seemed happy with the idea by then of our discussion.

He got his poppy and today being poppy day I suggested he put it on.  Well Kai's uniform is made up of a polo shirt under his jumper so the only button hole is front and centre.  I put the poppy in and within two mins he wanted it off because it way annoying him.
When I tried to persuade him to keep it on for a bit his response was

"I can remember the people, without it"

I think this is something we should do every day.  Whilst I am greatful for those who have or do serve their country I wish for a more peaceful future where guns are not a children's toy and people respect each other regardless of where they live, what religion they follow and what colour eyes they have. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment